Pistachios aren’t actually nuts. They are the edible seeds of the Pistachia vera tree, the only one of 11 pistachio species grown commercially. The trees thrive in dry climates and are largely grown in Middle Eastern countries, Italy, Australia, and California’s Central Valley.
Each 1-ounce serving of pistachio (about 28 grams or 49 nuts) contains the following:
- Calories: 159
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
- Carbs: 8 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Potassium: 6% of Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin B6: 28% of RDI
- Thiamine: 21% of RDI
- Phosphorous: 11% of RDI
- Copper: 41% of RDI
- Manganese: 15% of RDI
The bright-green nuts contain monosaturated fats (the good type!) which lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol and inflammation.
They are also jam-packed with antioxidants, including anthocyanin (protects cells from damage), lutein and zeaxanthin (protects against age-related vision loss), and polyphenols and tocopherols (protect the body against heart disease and cancer).
Moreover, pistachios are a low-GI food. That means they satiate you for longer and keep your blood glucose levels stable. Their low-calorie content allows you to have more nuts per serve. In comparison, a serving of almonds equals 23 nuts.
Of course, anything that’s eaten in excess can be bad for you.
A cup of pistachios has about 700 calories, which is more than 25% of the average person’s daily caloric needs to maintain weight.
Many pistachio products sold in stores are salted. If you eat half a cup of that, you’ll easily consume up to 400 mg of sodium. That spells trouble for your blood pressure.
Where to buy pistachios in Cebu?
Most big supermarkets in malls sell imported nuts, but stocks are often limited. Some of the pistachio nut products you’ll likely spot are snack-packs of:
- Tong Garden Freshly Roasted Pistachio
- Tobi Roasted Salted Pistachios
- Growers Salted Pistachio Nuts
Notably, Ayala Center supermarket has a section where you can buy your pistachios (raw with shell) in bulk. The counter’s located near the fruits and vegetables section.
For organic pistachios, try any Healthy Options store in Ayala or SM. You can also check out Robinsons Galleria supermarket and Rustan’s at Ayala.
Because options are limited in Cebu City, the easiest way to source your pistachio is buying online. Here are some of the products you’ll find in various sites:
- Landers – Pistachio 668g – P670 (P100.29/100g)
- Landers – Pistachio 1130g – P1320 (116.81/100g)
- Landers – Roasted Salted Pistachios 668g – P769.75 (P115.23/100g)
- Metro – Kirkland Pistachios 1.36kg – P2129 (P156.54/100g)
Shopee & Lazada
Roasted & Salted Pistachios
- Happy Ba Roasted Pistachio (140g) – Php 200
- Wonderful Pistachios (168g) – Php 450
- Smart Choice California Pistachio (250g) – Php 299
- No brand Pistachios (500g) – Php 480
- Wonderful Pistachios Classic (454g) – Php 1,265
- Wonderful Shelled Pistachios (680g) – Php 1,597
- Kirkland Signature Pistachios (1.36kg) – Php 1,699
- Kirkland Shelled Pistachios (680g) – Php 1,499
The Green Grocer
- Raw Bites Raw Pistachio Shelled (40g) Php 185
Know other local sources of pistachio? Share them with us!
About the author
Hey, it’s Chenzi! A writer made in Cebu. Stringing words is my bread and butter, but baking and mothering my 3-year-old are what feed my soul. I have an insatiable thirst for learning.